What is an Evaporative Air Cooler?
An evaporative air cooler is also known as a swamp cooler. This particular type of cooler helps in keeping the air cool. This is done by way of evaporating water. This is an efficient way of cooling your home. These coolers will draw the hot air in through to the wet pads by utilizing a fan. You will notice that when you are using an evaporative air cooler that the temperature will be approximately 30 degrees cooler air that is being released.
What advantages does the SPT-SF-609 Portable Evaporative Air Cooler have over a traditional air conditioner?
There are several actually. You will find that the advantages to having an evaporative air cooler will outweigh that of an air conditioning unit.
1) They generally cost less to operate
2) They are less expensive to install3
3) Require considerably less maintenance
4) Adds, rather than removes, moisture from the air
5) Comparatively lower CO2 emissions
6) Runs more efficiently than a traditional air conditioner.
However, there is one limitation to keep in mind. A traditional type of air conditioner can be used anywhere. An evaporative air-cooling unit, on the other hand works best in a climate with warm dry air. This is so the circulating air will evaporate the water or ice more efficiently and consistently.
What features make the SPT-SF 609 Evaporative air Cooler with Ionizer an attractive purchase?
- The SPT-SF 609 is moderately priced in comparison with other evaporative air coolers.
- It fits into any room.
- Comes on wheels, or castors for easy moving from room to room.
- 20-pound weight and 13”x17”x27” dimensions make it easy to maneuver.
- Its water tank has a ten-liter capacity.
- The air is circulated through a nylon and Photocatalystic filter
- A remote control is included for convenience.
- Three different fan speeds means greater choice regarding temperature.
- An ionizer unit to purify the air can be purchased separately.
- Can be used as a humidifier or fan if temperature is not an issue.
- Comes with a one-year warranty on parts and labor.
Reviewers on Amazon.com gave this product a rating of 3 stars. There were a total of two hundred forty three reviews. Seventy-one persons were pleased enough with the SPT-SF-609 AIR COOLER AND IONIZER to give it a 5 star rating, the highest possible mark. There were forty-nine reviewers who gave it the lowest possible mark of just 1 star. One reviewer who was pleased with the product questioned how well those who found it unsatisfactory had read the directions. At least one reviewer had complained the unit produced a foul smell. However, our positive reviewer thought this very well might have been caused by a failure to follow directions. In this case there is, apparently, a part, a wick, which is not supposed to be cleaned with water. It is to be cleaned by leaving it out in the hot sun, according to this particular review http://www.amazon.com/SF-609-Portable-Evaporative-Cooler-Ionizer/dp/B000R48G5K.
The SPT SF 609 Air Cooler and Ionizer can help in hot dry areas
A swamp cooler, or evaporative air cooler can be a good alternative to air conditioning or simple fans. This is especially true if you live in an area that is hot and dry. These types of appliances are not really made for areas of high humidity, as it is hot dry air that is needed to evaporate the ice and or water that are in the tank. The cost of the SPT-SF-609 compares well with other evaporative air coolers and these as a whole compare well with traditional air conditioners.
Besides the features mentioned above there were some other aspects of this unit, which make it attractive. The positive review for this product mentioned that it has a timer function which apparently allows you to shut it down and then have it turn back on at a certain point in time. Some very useful features of this product are the warning indicators in the form of a beep and a flashing light, which warn the user when it is time to add ice or water. The PVC plastic constructed unit from China is meant to be plugged into wall outlets, but also comes with batteries. The product description for it on Amazon indicated that batteries were required but gave no indication of size. If batteries can be used this could be an ideal unit not just for the home but for the camp as well.