With the ever-increasing amounts of time we spend in our cars, from making the daily commute to work to hanging out with friends on the weekend, air quality is becoming more important. While unpleasant odors can certainly make a care ride hostile, there are many other irritants that float around in our cars such as pollen, dust, and bacteria. If you are looking to address the air quality issues in your car, you might want to consider investing in an air purifier. One of the most popular automobile air purifiers on the market right now is the EL2022.
What is the Wagan EL2022 exactly?
- The Wagan EL2022 Ionic Air Purifier is an air-purifying device that plugs into your automobiles 12v accessory socket. Its main use is to eliminate odors, bacteria, pollen, and dust from your automobile’s cabin without the use of chemicals or the need to replace its filter. Wagan Corporation, a company that specializes in the creation and manufacturing of “high tech automotive accessories,” makes the EL2022 air purifier.
How does an ionic air purifier work?
- Ionic filters work by generating a stream or cloud of negative ions. These negative ions in turn attract the positively charged particles from allergens like pollen, dust, or cigarette smoke. The combined ions then become too heavy to stay airborne and fall to the floor or become attracted to other positively charged surfaces in the area. While this isn’t exactly elimination, it prevents the allergens from easily entering your body while you breath.
Consumer reviews for this product on Amazon.com are largely positive with an average score of 3.5/5. Many of the lower ratings can be attributed to defects in individual units and the manufacturer has expressed a commitment to replacing all defective units (I’ll discuss this later on).
- Successful at removing cigarette odors specifically
Cigarette smoke is notoriously difficult to remove from upholstery. However, many customers have had success using the Wagan EL2022 Ionic Air Purifier to remove cigarette odor from their vehicles.
- Successful at improving allergy symptoms
- Improved some customers ability to breathe
- Competitively priced
This product retails from $8.00-$14.95 which is less expensive than many of its competitors. You can get a good deal on the Wagan EL2022 Ionic Air Purifier here at Amazon for $9.75.
The devices in measures at: 4.6 inches x 1.5 inches x 1.25 inches
- Dedicated customer support staff
Wagan customer care has demonstrated a commitment to customer service. The customer service representatives are very friendly and helpful and will try there best at making your experience the best.
- Short life span
On the shortest end of the spectrum, some users complained that the product stopped working after 30 minutes. However, more commonly, users stated that the product stopped working after about 6 months. Wagan replied to these complaints by saying their product is meant to last for at least 1 year, and they would be happy to exchange any device that stopped working prior to that.
- Causes throat irritation for some users
A common complaint is that this product causes throat discomfort in some users. If you already are prone to respiratory issues, this product might exacerbate it.
- Emits ozone
Ozone is a pollutant that causes irritation in many people. However, emitting ozone is not something that is specific to the Wagan EL2022 Ionic Air Purifier. Most ionic air purifiers emit some amount of ozone. Ozone has been known to exacerbate existing respiratory problems.
The bulk of the complaints about this product seem to come from users who have received defective products. However, Wagan Corporation has responded to several of these complaints and has urged customers to contact the company to receive a free replacement.
- Emits a burning, or otherwise offensive smell
- Interferes with radio signal
- Makes an unpleasant noise while plugged in
- Drains the battery of some cars if left plugged in over night
While this product works for a lot of people, there is a lack of consistency with the quality of the product. However, because of the manufacturer’s insistence on replacing defective units, and because the reported benefits of this product seem to outweigh its deficiencies—this product is well worth a try.